Building Permits in the City of Welch 

  • All building permits are issued from the McDowell County Redevelopment Authority  304-436-8582 

  • To have a business in the City of Welch you must have a state license and a business license for the city. The business license period is for July 1st thru  June 30th.  


Business License

Business and Occupation Tax (B&O)

  • All persons engaging in business activities within the city limits are required to file a quarterly Business and Occupation (B&O) tax return. B&O tax is measured by the application of rates against values of products, gross proceeds of sale, or gross income of the business. Tax rates vary as certain occupations and business activities are classified. The business activity usually determines the tax classification. If you are uncertain as to your business activity, or how your business should properly calculate the tax, please contact the City of Welch. 

The City of Welch, West Virginia


       B&O Tax Quarter

   1st Quarter: January 1 - March 31
   2nd Quarter: April 1 - June 30
   3rd Quarter: July 1 - September 30
   4th Quarter: October 1 - December 31

88 Howard Street

Welch, WV 24801


Fax: (304)-436-2546

​Water Office: 304-436-4127